Dr. Stephen J Meraw
Dr. Stephen Meraw received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Detroit Mercy, where he was Senior Class President and recipient of the Thurbor Alumni Award for Clinical Excellence. He then completed his Internship in Hospital Dentistry and Residency in Periodontics at the the top 2 medical institutions in the country, the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Mayo Clinic, respectively. He also earned a Master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences from the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, and later a second Master’s degree in Health Care Management from Harvard University.
Dr. Meraw is a recipient of the Kramer Scholar Award, which is awarded each year to the top clinical Periodontal graduate in the United States from the American Academy of Periodontology Foundation. He is a Board Certified Specialist, also known as a Diplomate by the American Board of Periodontology, and has served on the faculty of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry for the past 16 years.
An active member of organized dentistry, Dr. Meraw has served in many leadership positions (below), as well as an active volunteer, consultant to the Veterans’ Administration, and published author.
- President, Michigan Periodontal Association
- Trustee, American Academy of Periodontology
- Trustee, Michigan Dental Association
- Past President, Bunting Periodontal Society
- Past President, Detroit District Dental Society
- Past President, Midwest Society of Periodontology
- Past President, Detroit District Dental Society Eastern
- Past Examiner, American Board of Periodontology
Outside of his dental interests, Dr. Meraw is a husband and father of three. He has coached baseball, softball and soccer, and is a regular runner & tennis player.